Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Monday, August 23, 2010

10 Years Too Long...

A few weeks ago we were fortunate enough to head down to Sanibel Island in Florida to be with my Dad's side of the family over my Dad's 10 year death anniversary. Initially we weren't going to go because it was a last minute thing and I had already burned through all of my work vacation but when I found myself unemployed I decided we had to be there. My Dad's side of the family all pretty much live on the east coast so Mike only met them at our wedding and didn't get to spend any quality time with them. I have always wanted him to get to know my dad through his family and after checking his schedule at work, Mike agreed we couldn't miss this opportunity. Luckily we had enough skymiles to get us there and five days after booking we were off!

Sanibel Island is an island right outside of Ft. Myers where my grandma who died in 1995 loved to go. It has white sandy beaches and is known for it's shells and warm weather and I have fond memories there with my Grandma Heim and Dad. We had about 18 people who were able to come and it was such a treat to finally get to spend time with this family who I have missed so much. It was incredibly hot and humid there so we spent most of the time in the pool, on the beach or playing games in the condos but Mike ventured out to golf a few times. We had a blast catching up and getting to know my dad's siblings on an adult level and all of them adored Mike. I felt so blessed to spend a week remembering my dad and reconnecting with a part of me that has been absent for quite some time.

July 18, 2010 was the 10th anniversary of my dad's death and for some reason 10 has been really hard. Maybe it's because I now only knew my dad 5 years longer than he has been gone or because 10 seems so much more permanent than 6. Whatever the reason, it's been difficult so being in Florida over that day was exactly where I needed to be. We spent the morning jet-skiing and the afternoon decorating shells, eating pizza and writing notes to my dad. That evening we all headed to the beach at low tide where we wrote Joe in the shells and burned the notes we wrote with the hope the smoke would take our words to him. My aunt also brought the cremains of my grandma and we all got the chance to spread her at one of her favorite places. It was an emotional day but it was the perfect way to honor my dad and I am so glad Mike and I got to be a part of it.

Jetskiing with Savannah. Don't worry that Mike tipped us off on accident, which scared Savannah pretty good. She was a trooper though!There is a big RedSox/Yankees rivalry in my family.Teena, Cathy and Mary Beth decorating shellsDecorating shells for JoeThe beautiful beach at our hotelHelping HandsWe miss you dad!Love notesAmazing supportSuch a wonderful sunsetLaura, Patrick and CathyMah Be and ICathy and Mary BethGrandma Heim and ITeena, Mary Beth, Michael, Cathy and Grandpa JoeThe family remembering JoeTeena, Grandpa and LauraMike, me and my dadThe shells I decorated, Wish and Somewhere Over the RainbowMany of you know I love stars and have a star tattoo on my back, but not many know why. After my dad died my mom gave me a card with stars on it and so they have always reminded me of him. My dad also really wanted a tattoo and would reapply a temporary one every day to make it look real so when I turned 18, I decided to get a star tattoo with his astrological symbol (gemini) in his memory.
Mary Cate is quite the free spirit and ran into the ocean after everything.Joseph Kevin Paul Heim
June 21, 1955-July 18, 2000 Even though the week was pretty emotional, we still had a great time eating, laughing, playing games and reminiscing. I can't wait until the next Heim reunion because I don't think we will be missing anymore!
Savannah and Brookie striking a pose!
Playing Tiles, a daily mid-day occurrenceLaura and Patrick at dinnerCathy and ISavannah, Cathy, Taylor, Erin and Harry Sisters, Teena, Cathy and Laura
Mike, Teena and I
Laura, Teena, Patrick, me and Cathy after a deliscious and very fun dinner!The kiddos Brooke, Michael, Mary Cate and SavannahSavannah decorating a starfish
Savannah, Erin and Harry playing in the ocean
Cathy and her girlsBrooke, Patrick and SavannahPlaying at the craziest restaurant EVER! Thank you Teena for making this all possible! We love you!!!

3 comments:

I AM A DREAMER said...

What an amazing way to pay tribute to your dad. I am so glad you got to be there. I am sure he felt your love and is extremely proud of the woman you are. Love you!

Jen said...

Thats awesome...I love the shell idea. Glad you got to spend time with family!

Linds Forrest said...

You look beautiful in those photos. Sounds like an amazing tribute! Hope you feel love and peace!! You are such a strong person to experience something hard like that!