Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Friday, June 3, 2011

Some Randomness...

There have been some random thoughts running through my head recently so I thought I would share…

The Starbucks on 5300 S and State is MY Starbucks. I will go out of my way to go there because I love the baristas and I think they make the best drinks, even though I am within walking distance of the Gateway location.

I am obsessed with the blog http://www.bitsofb.blogspot.com/. I found her personal blog after admiring her photography at http://www.blushbyb.com/ and I anxiously wait for new posts. She is a fantastic writer, is incredibly passionate and she and I seem to be kindred spirits when it comes to our love of words and song lyrics. She is amazingly talented and I think you should check out her blog. I promise you will be inspired, moved by her posts and will get lost in her life. She also gives great song recommendations and her kidlets are adorable.

Speaking of songs, some of my newest favorites are…

David Saw- Simple Song
Jonsi- Tornado
Rosie Thomas- Farewell
Joshua James- Lovers without Love
Thad Fiscella-Angel Kisses
Helen Jane Long- Porcelain
Margot & The Nuclear So and So's- A Light on a Hill
Blackchords- Disappear
Augustana-Twenty Years
Adele-Rolling in the Deep
Florence and the Machine-Cosmic Deep
The Cinnematic Orchestra-To Build a Home

I am slightly OBSESSED with Joshua Radin and have downloaded way too many of his songs lately. I also adore Pandora and the new Pingg on I-tunes because it finds other songs and artists I may have never heard before that I instantly fall in love with. I have found that I would rather listen to music with meaning that grabs my soul then anything else. I guess I am a little more emo than I admit.

My dear friend Trace has been trying to open his bar The Bourbon House for almost a year. He finally got his liquor license and they opened last night. We were able to stop by for a quick bite to eat and it honestly looks awesome. He did an amazing remodel on what used to be Monks and I think you should all check it out. It’s located at 19 East 200 South and has a really cool laid back vibe, just like Trace.

After over a year of looking, Mike and I finally settled on a new duvet cover. We found it at Restoration Hardware and are waiting for it to be delivered. We also bought a new duvet insert, since our current one is a queen and they were on major discount for Memorial Day. Here is a picture of what the new bedding will look like, but I promise to post pics when we finally have it in our room, that is if we decide we like it (we are kind of return-aholics).


As you probably know, I am a huge lover of peonies. I think they are the most romantic flower because of how full they are when in bloom, how soft they are in color and their simple but delicious fragrance. I received a few peony bulbs for speaking at a TSP fundraiser, as well as a few bulbs from our old neighbor to plant at our new house. They are finally starting to come up and I can’t wait for them to bloom. I am not sure what color they are but I will let you know as soon as they bloom. For now, please enjoy this peony picture just because it makes me happy.


Speaking of peonies. Miss Ashley sent me a prize for my surgery, peony colored Burts Bees Wax.


I am kind of in love because it’s a beautiful color, but feels just like chapstick. Winner!

While recovering from surgery the other day, I noticed the guy who washed our windows last year in our neighborhood again. I grabbed him and he gladly washed our windows the same day. The total for all our exterior windows, including our basement and a scrub of our front door was only $55.00. If you are in need of a window washer I highly recommend Tim Sandoval with I.W.C. His number is 801.702.9426.

I have one domestic bone in my body and it’s to plant an herb garden. I honestly love growing my own herbs and have been anxiously waiting for it to be warm enough so I could replant some. My oregano, lavender, chives, sage and mint all came back from last year but we had to replant the parsley, rosemary and basil. This year we also added garlic, tarragon and green onions and I am so excited for them to begin growing. It’s awesome to run down to the garden when we are making garlic bread for parsley, to experiment with sage and oregano when we cook Italian, make caprese salad with the basil for an easy dinner, cut some mint to add to our water or Mike’s whiskey, and make Rosemary Lime Sorbet on a hot summer night. If you have room for a herb garden, I highly suggest planting one. They are easy to care for and so much fun to use.

After years of trying to find a better black pump, I have finally realized that there isn’t one out there that is better than the Guess Carrie pump. I discovered these 6 years ago and was going through them every 4-5 months, because the heel would snap. I finally decided there had to be one that was just as comfortable that had a sturdier heel, but after 6 pairs of not quite right ALDO pumps, I finally decided I needed to give them another chance. I found them on sale at Macys over Memorial Day and am wondering why I ever doubted them. Crossing my fingers that this pair doesn’t break!


Mike and I have been trying to watch our calories a little bit closer since we both feel we have put on the “we are happy” weight (that’s the excuse we use to justify our weight gain, since I read in a magazine a few years ago that people who are in happy relationships tend to gain weight.) My mom introduced us to http://www.sparkspeople.com/ and we (ok Mike) are kind of obsessed. It’s been a great way to realize how many calories are in what we are eating and helps us to not overdo it. It has been good for me because it’s not really a diet, and I can still eat what I want I just have to be more careful about what I am eating and sacrifice by drinking one less real coke a day or a handful less cheetoes. My mom has lost 14 pounds using it and Mike is down 8, so if you want to lose a bit of weight, it’s worth checking out.

All through childhood I didn’t really have a nickname except for Lu or Lu-Lu from my mom. My friend Tajia tried out Lourdes and then settled on Lone (which she still calls me), but for the most part nothing really ever stuck. In the last few years, I have gained a plethora of nicknames including be, Elle and Lil Tex but recently more and more people from various social groups are calling me LC and Lo. As silly as it is, it makes me smile every time someone refers to by either of those names because I am a nickname lover. I know, totally random.

So now that you know every random thought that has been going through my head recently, I wish you a very happy weekend full of sunshine and to Miss Annie, I wish you an incredibly Happy Birthday!!!

P.S Mine and Mike’s 4 year anniversary is in 13 days! I can’t wait to celebrate with him and I look forward to a romantic evening at Tuscany and watching our wedding video (our anniversary tradition). Year 4 has been the best so far and I know as the years go on they are just going to get better! I heard this quote the other day, “If I had to choose again I would still choose you” and immediately thought of Mike. I chose a perfect husband for me and marrying him is still the best decision I ever made. Happy Friday!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I am happy to hear that you and Mike are doing so well, even amist the trial of infertility. You deserve the best and it sounds like you have it! YAY!

I love the idea of an herb garden. I think I am going to plant one next year when we do our garden boxes. I am really looking forward to it. I have never grown anything- ever. You might have to give me any tips you have!

I love Guess anything, especially their jeans. I have never tried their shoes, though. I might have to invest in a pair. New shoes is never a bad thing.

I was going to comment on your baby ricci blog, but for some reason I can't. So here is what I was going to say...

I am sorry you are having a hard time right now. This infertility crap really sucks, doesn't it. Don't forget it's ok to feel the pain sometimes. I hope you are able to get out some of your frustrations at the RESOLVE group tonight. I am looking forward to the meeting in July with the new group. We need to do dinner before then. I think a glass (bottle) of wine could do both of us some good. Love you!