Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Valentine's Day in Jamaica!



Mike and I have never had much luck with Valentine’s Day. The first year we were together his car broke down on the way to pick me up for lunch, one year he had oral surgery, another the roses he sent me were dead when I got them and then last year his Grandma died a few days before and her viewing was on Valentine’s Day. To top it off I ended up getting stuck in Salt Lake and Mike was flying to California from Cleveland so I missed the viewing and didn’t even see him until the 15th. As I said, we have never had any luck with Valentine’s Day.

This year we decided we needed to break the spell and what better way to do that then a vacation! Since Mike was traveling back and forth to Cleveland so much when we first got married, he had accumulated enough miles to buy two tickets for us to Jamaica. The only downside was we had to book 331 days in advance, so we have been counting down the days to this trip for a VERY long time. It was definitely worth the wait though, especially because for some reason I tend to travel to exotic locales when it is hot in Utah. This was my first time ever going somewhere warm while it was still FREEZING here. It was definitely a great way to start our Valentine’s vacation.

We spent 8 fabulous nights at the Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay and we had a wonderful time. It was by far the most relaxing vacation we have ever had and a week in the sun with each other was absolutely what we needed. We have been so busy that we haven’t seen a lot of each other recently so it was nice to just relax and spend some one on one time with each other. We didn’t do anything but eat, soak in the sun, read, float around in the pool, watch many weddings, laugh, sip on Miami Vices and other adult beverages and enjoy each other’s company. The weather was perfect and we thoroughly enjoyed being pool/beach bums for a week. I was able to read 4 books, 3 magazines and get a pretty good tan (at least for me anyway). Normally I think I can handle the severe Caribbean sun with just a little bit of sunblock but end up looking like a lobster the first few days. Not this time though, Mike and I have finally figured out how to avoid getting burned and it was nice to be one of the few American’s who didn’t look like we should have claws.

Just floating around the pool...
A beautiful sunset

Mah Be and I at The Cricketer's Pub, where we hung out almost every night.The pool we hung out most days.Our own private paradise...Just floating around...The reason my heart melts...At the chef's cookoffThe view from our roomAnother view from our room.Mah Be and I at breakfastMy artsy pic of the tripKiss Kiss!One of the beaches.The resortI love the variations of blue in this pic!At the piano bar.

Since this was a Valentine’s Day trip, I think it is appropriate that Valentine’s Day ended up being the highlight of our vacation. Mike had the idea of renting a cabana on the resort’s private island to celebrate the day so after breakfast we loaded onto a boat with our cabana boy and were escorted over to our own piece of paradise. The weather that day was beautiful and it was great to have someone waiting on us hand and foot. I honestly couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend Valentine’s Day with mah Be. It was truly perfect and completely romantic and I don’t know if anything we do from now on will ever top it. I had given Mike the love journal that morning so we laid in the cabana and read it with one another. It was such a great reminder of the love we share and even though I am not normally emotional, I cried for a good 10 minutes while reading it, even though I didn’t shed one tear while writing it. Weird how that works. It just brought back so many special memories we had shared with one another and while I may have gotten carpel tunnel filling it out, I am glad we will always have a reminder of the beginning of our love. Sorry for the sappiness.

The private cabanaThe view from the cabanaLove...Champagne, a beach and Mah Be. What else could I ask for?The RiccisThe view of the private island from the mainland.
After the day at the cabana we went to dinner and then spent the evening watching the Valentine’s Day entertainment. They had a great performer who was singing a bunch of old love songs and Mike even asked ME to dance, which was huge because I usually have to twist his arm to get him to dance with me. After the performer they were putting on their own version of The Newlywed game and I had told Mike I wanted to watch because I like to answer the questions with him and see how our answers match up. Well, while I was in the restroom I guess they asked if anyone wanted to sign up to be one of the couples on the game show and Mike submitted our names. Well, when I got back they started announcing the couples and we were one of them! I was mortified but also touched that he A. realized this is something I would like to do and B. put his pride aside to do something for me. It was a lot of fun, although super embarrassing because of the questions they asked, but it will definitely be something I remember for the rest of my life. We lost to a couple who had been married for 20 years, but Mike was voted the hottest husband on stage so I guess that’s a win right?!? It was the perfect way to end our amazing day and I am so lucky to have such a great and romantic hubby. Thanks for making my Valentine’s Day so memorable Be.

Happy Valentine's Day BeI look pregnant in this picture but since all I did was eat and lay around, I put on a few pounds. Well worth it though!A surprise!Overall we had an amazing trip and I am already craving the sun again. Can spring please get here a bit sooner?!?! I don’t know how much more winter I can take!

Here are a few pictures from our Montego Bay boat cruise. The lighting was amazing so I had to take tons of pics!

Serenity
Montego BayParadise!Isn't the lighting amazing?
Pure Bliss...
I just couldn't get enough!

2 comments:

Annie Van Komen Albrecht said...

I am now going to make it a point to go to Jamaica. It looks beautiful. I love how cute Mike it. He is a great hubby. We really need to go TOGETHER sometime on vacation. It sounds like we love to do the same things. I can't believe your bad luck with V-day. It sounds like this one made up for it though. You don't look preggers either, although I had a pic that I felt the same way about. You have to love dieting for a vacation and then eating 5 square meals each day. I am so glad you had a fab time.

Jen said...

JEALOUS!! Oh that looks like the funnest trip! You are so pretty and looked gorgeous in all your cute dresses!