We had quite an interesting Friday evening. Mike was on his way home from his brother's graduation when he looked over and saw a vehicle that had just been hit by a TRAX train. Mike jumped out of his car and was one of the first 2 people on the scene. It sounds as though he was able to remain pretty calm and assist the way he needed to until paramedics arrived. The driver unfortunately was seriously injured and had to be cut from her vehicle, but Mike says she was conscious when he left and thought she would be ok. I was very proud of him for being such a quick thinker and glad he was able to be with this woman in her time of need. I was also very touched how concerned Mike was that she had a babyseat in the back, because this meant she was a mom. It's moments like these that make me love him even more than I already do.
After help came, he got back into his car, still shaken from the accident, and drove a few blocks to 1300 East 500 South. As he was waiting in the left hand turn lane, a few emergency vehicles went through a red light in response to the Trax accident. He then watched a UTA truck, who was also responding to the accident, run a red light and get T-boned by a Nissan. This caused the truck to go airborne and up on two wheels and then hit a Prism that was waiting in front of Mike. The force of the truck hitting the Prism pushed the Prism into Mike's car, damaging the front of his. We are so lucky this was all the damage that was done and that he was uninjured because according to Mike, the truck looked as though it was going to roll and if the Prism had not been hit, it probably would have landed right on top of Mike's car. The lady driving the Nissan was taken to the hospital in serious condition, the driver of the UTA truck had to be cut out and taken to the hospital and the two people in the car in front of Mike were also taken to the hospital. From what I have gathered over the weekend, everyone was released and is expected to be OK, which is a miracle considering all the damage.
Mike had his camera since he had just been at the graduation and since they made us stay around for an hour and a half, he decided to snap some shots.
Mike's car is the awesome gold Solara.

The Nissan that T-boned the Trax Truck
The Prism that was waiting in front of Mike.
The Trax Truck after the door was cut off.
The Prism and Mike's car.
I keep thinking how much more horrible this accient could have been. Mike was the only person out of 6 people who wasn't injured, his car was the only one out of 5 that wasn't totaled, and he was the oldest person involved in both accidents. Someone was definitely looking over him on Friday and I am counting our many blessings that he was not injured. Having him be involved in something like this really reminded me how much I love him and how I would be broken without him in my life. It put everything back into perspective and I am so glad he walked away from this unscathed.
The Prism that was waiting in front of Mike.
The Trax Truck after the door was cut off.
The Prism and Mike's car.
I keep thinking how much more horrible this accient could have been. Mike was the only person out of 6 people who wasn't injured, his car was the only one out of 5 that wasn't totaled, and he was the oldest person involved in both accidents. Someone was definitely looking over him on Friday and I am counting our many blessings that he was not injured. Having him be involved in something like this really reminded me how much I love him and how I would be broken without him in my life. It put everything back into perspective and I am so glad he walked away from this unscathed.I hope everyone who was affected by this will be ok and that the Trax Truck driver doesn't lose his job. I know he ran a red light and that he is not an emergency vehicle but I can see how it would be easy to get caught up in trying to help with the other accident that he just assumed either the light was green or that he had the authority to run the red light as well. The news, as well as the police, have been pretty hard on him and I hope everyone finds compassion for this driver and forgives his mistake. He was very traumatized by the accident and I am sure he has learned his lesson.
Just a reminder to everyone, please wear your seatbelts and drive carefully. Cars are incredibly dangerous machines, as we have unfortunately learned twice already this year.
5 comments:
Oh my goodness! We were at the U of U graduation this weekend too and were walking out of the Huntsman Center when we heard/saw the ambulances go by, but we didn't know they were for an accident that close by...
SOOO glad Mike was not hurt and that you think everyone else involved is okay. What a close call!
I got goose bumps again reading this. I am so grateful Mike is OK. 1 accident would have been eerie/scary enough that he was the only one without injury - but 2!! That is what is so unbelievable. I am so glad he is OK. I bet the two of you are still in a little bit of shock/disbelief that this all happened.
Woa that is so scary! I am glad everyone turned out to be ok. Glad your hubby is ok too!!
Wow, what a mess!! I am SO glad that Mike wasn't injured and that nobody was killed in these accidents. It sure makes one remember what is important in life. We are all in a hurry and don't really need to be. These things are important lessons. Thanks for sharing. :)
What a story...and I am very glad that your husband is okay. I don't always wear my seatbelt, but know that I should because you never know what can happen. Thanks for the reminder and for the post!
Post a Comment