Ever since I was little, I have loved to look at Christmas lights and it doesn’t feel like Christmas without them. My mom and I even used to drive around and critique lights by saying "crooked or straight". When Mike and I began dating he learned quickly that I REALLY wanted lights on the house no matter what. He always puts up a fight but has been a good hubby and put them up year after year. Our old house was much easier to put the lights up because the roof wasn’t too high or very steep but our new house is ultra scary! He braved his fear of heights last year but swore he wouldn’t do it again unless he could be roped and harnessed in. This year he got a brand new harness and rope and was all ready to put them up, but then the “2010 Blizzard” hit and it didn’t look like he would be able to get them up.
Now I was a little irritated because I had asked Mike to put them up the weekend after Halloween (my mom says there is only one good weekend after Halloween), but Mike was more interested in football and said “there will be another nice weekend”. Well, weekend after weekend went by and the snow just kept on falling. I finally conceded that we would not be getting Christmas lights this year and started to playfully pick on Mike by telling him that he should really listen to his wife more often and that for the rest of his life I was going to remind him of the “no lights year”.
Well, I guess he got sick of my bantering because last weekend on what looked to be a nice day, he climbed up on the roof to put them up. As he was climbing up the roof to anchor himself in, the snow that was still present of the roof gave way and he slid all the way down to where the ladder was. Luckily the ladder stopped him from falling off, but he immediately climbed down, called me and said “I am NOT putting Christmas lights up!” I had told him multiple times that I didn’t want him to get hurt so our house could be Christmassy, but he was being stubborn and would not give up.
This past weekend he decided to give the lights one more go. He climbed up, got anchored in and spent all day Saturday putting the lights up. I am so happy and think I definitely have one great hubby who will go to such great lengths to make me happy. They look great and because it was SUCH an ordeal, I thought it warranted a blog post. Next year I think he will listen to me though and will get the lights up sooner than later. Wives are sometimes full of good ideas. :)
Happy holidays everyone!
This is the spot he slid from.
3 comments:
Scary he almost fell, sort of funny in a way. Your lights look awesome!
How do you get them so straight? I've always wondered that.
Ahh! Good husband!
Post a Comment