Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

How we became The Riccis...

1. How it all began: how you met, first date, first kiss, how long did you date? first picture together.....etc.

Mike and I met on the 24th of July, 2004 at of all places, a party at Shon Stander’s. (For all of you who don't know Shon, he is infamous for having parties with many different kinds of people and I swear we are probably the only two people who made a connection there and lasted.) Mike had just graduated college and was living with Shon enjoying his single life and I was in a 4-year long committed relationship. On the 24th of July my boyfriend and I got into a huge fight and my best friend Laura, who I met through my ex and who had gone to church with Mike when they were younger, invited me to go to a party at Mike’s with her. I had heard a lot about this Mike guy because after he graduated and moved back to SLC, he and Laura bumped into each other and she reconnected him with a bunch of old friends and some great new ones and they became best buds. I remember I went to the party and was feeling really out of my element because I didn’t really know anyone and I wasn’t with my boyfriend, but I tried to enjoy myself. Shon has a wet bar in his basement and Mike’s favorite place was behind it, so I went up and sat at the bar and he introduced himself. We began talking and I could tell he was interested in me, but I had a boyfriend, so I dropped the “boyfriend” bomb. After that he shied away from me and we didn’t see or talk to each other again for a few months.

In November, the same thing happened. I got into a big fight with my boyfriend and was ready to break up. Laura again invited me to a party at Mike and Shon’s to celebrate Mike’s birthday. I was excited to go and see him again and this time we really clicked as the night went on. I even remember getting really jealous when the girl he was sort of dating showed up. At the end of the night we exchanged phone numbers and over the next month we began texting and seeing each other at random events. Also, since it was 2004, myspace had just come out and his work had not blocked it yet so we began myspace chatting every day until my boss came in. It felt like a high tech yet old fashioned getting to know you and I really began to fall for him, even though I was still in a relationship. In December we decided to meet up for dinner and buy Laura a Christmas present, which was really a cover for wanting to spend time alone together. We went to dinner at Macaroni Grille and went dutch on the bill, which I still tease him about (Mike says it wasn’t a date because I still had a boyfriend). After dinner we got together with some of my friends and his friends and the feelings we undeniably had for each other came to a head and we shared our first kiss on his deck overlooking the city. We hung out the next night as well and I knew I needed to break up with my boyfriend. On Tuesday December 21st, 2004 I ended my 4-year relationship and Mike and I have been inseparable ever since. Our relationship became very serious quickly, even spending the holidays with my family and his and on the 26th of December as we were driving to a Christmas party, we became official. Neither of us has looked back since.

Now I know this story makes me sound like I am a cheater, which I was at that time, but I was in a very turbulent and unhealthy relationship for 4 years that I was scared to leave. He had been my first love and we had been through so much together but the second I realized who I could be with Mike, I knew that Aaron and I were not meant to be. Mike and I had a deeper more fulfilling connection within the first month of our relationship than I ever shared with Aaron and I couldn’t imagine life without him. I regret that I hurt someone in the process of falling in love with Mike but I knew I had to follow my heart and my mind would soon catch up. It's still the best decision I ever made!

Our first picture. November 14, 2004

1 comment:

Heather and Trevor said...

I love hearing stories of how couple's came to be...thanks for sharing! :) I never do blog challenges, but I'm gonna do this one. I'm super stoked!