"The worst thing that happens to you may be the best thing for
you if you don't let it get the best of you."
We got word yesterday that Mike was not accepted into Harvard. We knew it was a long shot to start with but the disappointment of a dream unrealized has been a bit hard to swallow. We both know it is not because he is incapable of their program or because he isn’t incredibly intelligent because he is, it’s just an extremely competitive program to get into. I am beyond proud that he was even able to apply to such a highly regarded school and feel not having Mike in their MBA program is Harvard’s loss.
While I am deeply saddened by the disappointment Mike feels because he worked so hard and put his all into that application, I know in my heart that when one door closes, another one is bound to open. He is still planning on applying to Stanford but if that doesn’t pan out, we still have a wonderful life here and are enjoying every minute of it. It’s rare to know that whichever path our life takes, it’s going to be amazing and we are looking forward to the adventure.
While we may not be moving for school, Mike will still be able to complete a MBA program. He found out about an extension program through Indiana that will keep him in Utah and allow him to continue working for ATK with the added bonus of tuition reimbursement. Even better is that Indiana has partnered with Thunderbird Academy, which is a highly regarded business school (don’t let the name fool you) and he could end up with a MBA from Indiana and a Masters in Global Management from Thunderbird. This is another great option for him and keeps us close to family and friends, and allows us to start thinking about starting a family sooner.
I also have a career change in the near future that Mike and I are looking forward to. After 6 years of working for Allstate, my boss sold our agency and we will be embarking on a new journey of opening an independent agency in Sandy. While I will miss my clients dearly I am looking forward to the new opportunities this career move has to offer and welcome the change. I feel incredibly blessed that in this economy, Mike and I are not only able to hold onto our jobs but able to continue making career advancements.
Another big change in our life is that after owning our house for three and a half years we have decided to put it up for sale. We really want to try and take advantage of some of the great deals out there right now and think this is the perfect time for us to get into a home we can start a family in. We may not be able to sell our home but we don’t think it hurts to try. If we can’t sell it, at least we still have a roof over our heads and we are grateful for that.
All in all, life is good and this change in plans is not necessarily a bad one. In staying here Mike gets to continue skiing with some of his best friends; I get to be here for Aubree, her baby boy and all the festivities leading up to her marriage; I don’t have to find a new nail tech or hair stylist (don’t worry Hannie, no one could ever replace you anyway); we get to continue spending holidays with family; we will be able to cheer on the Utah Utes again next season; we are closer to adding to our own family; we don’t have to leave Sharing Place and we will be able to continue making memories with our dearest friends. Life really can’t get better than what we have now and sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. I am looking forward to the future and sharing every twist and turn with my best friend. I love you Be and remember, this is just the beginning for us.
"I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it."
you if you don't let it get the best of you."
We got word yesterday that Mike was not accepted into Harvard. We knew it was a long shot to start with but the disappointment of a dream unrealized has been a bit hard to swallow. We both know it is not because he is incapable of their program or because he isn’t incredibly intelligent because he is, it’s just an extremely competitive program to get into. I am beyond proud that he was even able to apply to such a highly regarded school and feel not having Mike in their MBA program is Harvard’s loss.
While I am deeply saddened by the disappointment Mike feels because he worked so hard and put his all into that application, I know in my heart that when one door closes, another one is bound to open. He is still planning on applying to Stanford but if that doesn’t pan out, we still have a wonderful life here and are enjoying every minute of it. It’s rare to know that whichever path our life takes, it’s going to be amazing and we are looking forward to the adventure.
While we may not be moving for school, Mike will still be able to complete a MBA program. He found out about an extension program through Indiana that will keep him in Utah and allow him to continue working for ATK with the added bonus of tuition reimbursement. Even better is that Indiana has partnered with Thunderbird Academy, which is a highly regarded business school (don’t let the name fool you) and he could end up with a MBA from Indiana and a Masters in Global Management from Thunderbird. This is another great option for him and keeps us close to family and friends, and allows us to start thinking about starting a family sooner.
I also have a career change in the near future that Mike and I are looking forward to. After 6 years of working for Allstate, my boss sold our agency and we will be embarking on a new journey of opening an independent agency in Sandy. While I will miss my clients dearly I am looking forward to the new opportunities this career move has to offer and welcome the change. I feel incredibly blessed that in this economy, Mike and I are not only able to hold onto our jobs but able to continue making career advancements.
Another big change in our life is that after owning our house for three and a half years we have decided to put it up for sale. We really want to try and take advantage of some of the great deals out there right now and think this is the perfect time for us to get into a home we can start a family in. We may not be able to sell our home but we don’t think it hurts to try. If we can’t sell it, at least we still have a roof over our heads and we are grateful for that.
All in all, life is good and this change in plans is not necessarily a bad one. In staying here Mike gets to continue skiing with some of his best friends; I get to be here for Aubree, her baby boy and all the festivities leading up to her marriage; I don’t have to find a new nail tech or hair stylist (don’t worry Hannie, no one could ever replace you anyway); we get to continue spending holidays with family; we will be able to cheer on the Utah Utes again next season; we are closer to adding to our own family; we don’t have to leave Sharing Place and we will be able to continue making memories with our dearest friends. Life really can’t get better than what we have now and sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck. I am looking forward to the future and sharing every twist and turn with my best friend. I love you Be and remember, this is just the beginning for us.
"I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it."
7 comments:
I'm sorry to hear Mike didn't get in. You have such a great attitude. It's hard to know why things happen the way they do until much further down the road. It sounds like you guys are very blessed though. Thanks for your post. It was a good reminder to put things into perspective. Good luck with all of the decision making!
'To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.’
— Henri Bergson
Best of luck with everything!
When something happens you may not like, the only thing you have the ability to change is your attitude. I love that you are able to look at all the positive aspects in your life. I am being selfish when I say I am happy you are staying. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Sadly most if the time that reason isn't apparent as soon as we may want it to be.
I am going to be selfish, too and say I am secretly glad you are staying! Harvard is missing out on one talente guy though!
Good luck with all of your new adventures! Keep us posted!
Well said. Great attitude. I am happy. Mike: harvard doesn't deserve you. Cheers. The future is bright. And. I love you.
Those snobby Ivy Leaguers can blow it out their nose, that's what I say. Sorry to hear that you didn't get in, Mike. What you said about it being due to sheer overwhelming numbers of applicants and not lack of qualification is true of a lot of elite professional/grad schools.
Maybe this means we'll reunite in Utah instead?
Post a Comment