Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Remembering Grandma Seeg...

Jenny and Kaye both reminded me that Grandma died 6 years ago on January 27th. She was the best Grandma and I still miss her dearly. She was quirky, spacy, loving, giving, funny, a neat freak and a joy to be around. To honor her, I thought I would share some of my best memories of her. They still bring a smile to my face and I hope they bring one to yours as well!

Deloris Seegmiller

-My mom and I traveled with Grandma and Grandpa to a bomb-wing reunion in Pennsylvania. They arrived a day early and when we got there, Grandma was cleaning the hotel ceilings because she didn’t want us to think we were staying in a crummy place. She had literally asked the front desk for a mop so she could clean their ceilings. Classic Grandma!

-She made the absolute BEST duffies. I think she made up the word but they are basically fried bread, kind of like a scone. They were so yummy and as hard as I try, I still can’t make them as well as she did.

-She got multiple cousins sick at various Thanksgiving dinners by serving food that was left out too long. I never happened to be one of those cousins but I think it’s only because I have a strong stomach.

-She made the best Thanksgiving homemade rolls and I make them every year for turkey day. I couldn’t imagine Thanksgiving without them!

-She loved to play cards and Hand and Foot was her game. Although she didn’t like to play with Cleo because Cleo tended to make up rules as they went along and it drove her nuts!

-She gave me a perm once and it was one of the worst things I ever did. I looked so bad! I think she gave all the cousins at least one bad hair cut or style.

-Every Thanksgiving we do a family talent show and one year her talent was an impression of Anne Robinson, the host of Weakest Link. It was so funny! “You are the weakest link, Goodbye!”

-I used to go to St. George in the summer and spend a week with her and she would always take me grocery shopping at Harmon’s. One time when I was down there, she noticed someone was dripping meat juice on the floor so she asked the butcher for a rag so she could clean it up. She walked up and down two aisles cleaning up someone else’s drippings!

-She used to take us to the family farm and take us fishing, but we always had to throw the fish back or Grandpa would get mad at her. She accidentally killed a few and made sure to tell me not to tell him so she didn’t get in trouble.
-She and her friends were a member of the ADQ club. She would never tell us what it stood for and I still don't know!

-She wouldn’t let Tim and I sleep in the same room because he was a boy and I am a girl.

-She collected fans and had a china hutch full of them.

-She loved being a Grandma and her grandchildren were her greatest joy.

-She worked as a hairdresser when she was younger and then started doing hair at the mortuary. She said she liked doing dead people better because they didn’t move, they didn't complain and she only had to do the front.

-She thought all dogs were boys and cats were girls.

-She always woke up super early and I never saw her without her make-up on or her hair done. She always looked so put together.

-She was an absolute space cadet and would forget things or do something silly all the time. Every time my mom does something that’s a little harebrained, I just call her Deloris or Grandma.

-Due to her spaciness, sometimes she would say things that would offend people or was inappropriate, not because she was trying to be rude but because she didn’t think it all the way through. I definitely possess that quality.

Grandma, you are very missed at all the holidays and milestones in all our lives but we think of you and talk about you often so you are far from forgotten. We love you very much!

I couldn't find a photo of Grandma but I saw this picture on Lori's facebook page of my mom and all my aunts and think it encompasses the personality she passed down to each one of them. They all remind me of her so much!


5 comments:

Jenny B said...

You definately got it right! The only thing I can think of to add is how she was a die-hard Jazz fan. She loved watching "her boys" play.

Ben and Brittney said...

Your Grandma sounded like a wonderful women. I sure had a good laugh
Miss you
Brittney

skrymsli said...

Guess what? Grandma gave ME a perm too. When I was in 5th grade. Right after I got glasses for the first time. I got made fun of at school and I deserved it. Big time.

Cody

Casey, Annie, Brooklyn, Paige and Casey 5 said...

She sounds like a perfect kind of grandma! What sweet memories.

Corri said...

Lauren, I can make grandma duffies, and so can you! Just thaw some Rhodes dough and stretch it out flat and cook it in a dry pan (no oil) on medium or low with a lid until one side is browned, then flip and cook again with lid. The lid helps the inner dough "bake". Serve with Blue Bonnet on BOTH SIDES. Duffies are the best comfort food. Have one or six today.