3: Proposal: how it happened, how long were you engaged for? was it a total surprise? pictures of that... etc.
Our proposal story is kind of funny and yet embarrassing to tell all at the same time because I ruined his proposal plans not once, but TWICE! Mike and I had lived together for a year and a half and I was ready to get married. He was still nervous about making that commitment since he was still settling into his job and our new house and was not willing to buy me a ring until he could pay cash for it (that's Mike for you). I would drag him ring shopping with me, which only made him agitated and the price for what I wanted scared him to death. I finally started searching for rings at Costco (Mike’s favorite place), and found one I really loved for a great price. I forwarded him the picture and told him it was the ring I wanted. After that he began acting kind of weird about rings and marriage talk and I knew he had bought it. I tried to hack into his American Express statement and email (yes I am totally nosey like that), but I didn’t know his password and it locked him out. This was a red flag to him and he knew that I had been snooping, but wasn’t sure if I had seen that he had purchased my ring so he concocted an email from Costco saying the order had been cancelled to throw me off. He then decided that since I probably knew about the ring, instead of proposing on the cruise we were about to go on, which was his plan all along, he would try and surprise me with a proposal.
The day he decided to propose he was acting really weird and was asking what I needed to do that night. When I told him I needed to do homework he was kind of annoyed and so I thought “today is going to be the day”. I tried not to act too excited in case it didn’t happen so I went to my Sharing Place group and didn’t tell anyone what I thought. While I was there, he went to my parent’s house and asked my mom and brother if he could marry me. They of course said yes and he went home to wait for me. When I got home from group, my romantic side was expecting flowers and candlelight, but there wasn’t anything and since I had gotten my hopes up, I was devastated. I was so sad that instead of going down to the computer, I went to our bedroom, laid down and started crying. Mike came in and laid with me and asked what was wrong. I told him that I was sure he was going to propose and I was wrong again and at that moment he pulled out my engagement ring and told me how much he loved me and asked me to marry him. He wasn’t on one knee and it wasn’t a grand gesture, but it was us, perfectly imperfect. Later I found out he was planning to tie my ring to Mekah’s collar and have her come up to me while I was doing my homework and propose, but I had been too impatient to let that happen. I didn’t care though, we were engaged and I was going to marry my soul mate. I still tease him though that I want a new engagement story and want him to propose to me again. Someday I hope it happens :)
Our proposal story is kind of funny and yet embarrassing to tell all at the same time because I ruined his proposal plans not once, but TWICE! Mike and I had lived together for a year and a half and I was ready to get married. He was still nervous about making that commitment since he was still settling into his job and our new house and was not willing to buy me a ring until he could pay cash for it (that's Mike for you). I would drag him ring shopping with me, which only made him agitated and the price for what I wanted scared him to death. I finally started searching for rings at Costco (Mike’s favorite place), and found one I really loved for a great price. I forwarded him the picture and told him it was the ring I wanted. After that he began acting kind of weird about rings and marriage talk and I knew he had bought it. I tried to hack into his American Express statement and email (yes I am totally nosey like that), but I didn’t know his password and it locked him out. This was a red flag to him and he knew that I had been snooping, but wasn’t sure if I had seen that he had purchased my ring so he concocted an email from Costco saying the order had been cancelled to throw me off. He then decided that since I probably knew about the ring, instead of proposing on the cruise we were about to go on, which was his plan all along, he would try and surprise me with a proposal.
The day he decided to propose he was acting really weird and was asking what I needed to do that night. When I told him I needed to do homework he was kind of annoyed and so I thought “today is going to be the day”. I tried not to act too excited in case it didn’t happen so I went to my Sharing Place group and didn’t tell anyone what I thought. While I was there, he went to my parent’s house and asked my mom and brother if he could marry me. They of course said yes and he went home to wait for me. When I got home from group, my romantic side was expecting flowers and candlelight, but there wasn’t anything and since I had gotten my hopes up, I was devastated. I was so sad that instead of going down to the computer, I went to our bedroom, laid down and started crying. Mike came in and laid with me and asked what was wrong. I told him that I was sure he was going to propose and I was wrong again and at that moment he pulled out my engagement ring and told me how much he loved me and asked me to marry him. He wasn’t on one knee and it wasn’t a grand gesture, but it was us, perfectly imperfect. Later I found out he was planning to tie my ring to Mekah’s collar and have her come up to me while I was doing my homework and propose, but I had been too impatient to let that happen. I didn’t care though, we were engaged and I was going to marry my soul mate. I still tease him though that I want a new engagement story and want him to propose to me again. Someday I hope it happens :)
Fun fact- We became engaged on 4.19.06 at 419 E, our first home together. It was totally random and not planned but I love that there is a connection between the day and the address. We remained engaged for 14 months because I wanted a June wedding and we became husband and wife on 06.16.07.
1 comment:
This is too funny! I am totally nosy like that, too... I had all kinds of questions for Clint when I knew he had bought my ring. I just couldn't contain myself. Even though you didn't get the "romantic" proposal, you have a great story to tell!
Post a Comment