Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Turning our house into a home...

Our front room that Mike calls the "useless room" and I call "the Christmas Tree room" has sat empty since we moved into the house 2 1/2 years ago.  This is because we weren't quite sure what we wanted to do with it and we hadn't found any furniture we were in love with that was reasonably priced (since it's a room we don't often use, we didn't want to spend much on it).  About 6 months ago I finally found a Pottery Barn couch that I instantly fell for, and the room decorating snowballed from there.  I am currently obsessed with grey and yellow and since most of our rooms have been decorated in blue, I wanted to go in a different direction.  The room is finally mostly finished and we couldn't be more happy with how it turned out.  We are still trying to find a sitting chair, some end tables and a coffee table and we need to print some photos, but for now we are thrilled with how it looks and it has brought some much needed color and life into our home.  Thanks mom for all of your help and for your design eye.  It never would have turned out this good without you!

My mom and I found the grey, yellow and white pillow fabric on small business Saturday and so for Christmas she had these pillows made for us.  They seriously match the couch perfectly and it's exactly what we wanted.  My mom then found the yellow pillow at Crate and Barrel and we found the purple one at Target.  I especially love the texture the purple one adds.


My mom found this great frame at Down to Earth and gave it to us for Christmas; although it still needs a photo.  The silver vase is from Four Chairs.
These great shelves were put up all over the house before we moved in and while I didn't like them initially and wanted to rip them down, I love them now.  The 2 pictures and vase are from 4 Chairs, the mirror is from Tai Pan, the Simplify sign and lavendar were a gift from my mom and the candle and candlestick holder were also a gift from my mom and she found them at Down to Earth.

These purple and yellow flowers as well as the yellow cloths were also from Four Chairs.

Besides a couch in this room, I really wanted a bookshelf so we purchased this at 4 Chairs and are really happy with it.  The mirror as well as a few of the frames came from there as well and the other accessories are a mixture of Rod Works, Z Gallerie, Tai Pan, Home Goods and various other places.


My mom purchased this book for me at Details and wrote a tear-jerking message about my strength and commitment to getting her grand babies here.  I love quote books and this one is by far my favorite.  It's full of inspiring words and is a great reminder to not give up.


Here is a closer look at the bookshelf.  These shelves hold a lot of things that are dear to us such as the sand from our wedding, Sigma Chi books, Sharing Place mementos, pictures of our family and meaningful books, such as "Heart Stones"
(my mom collects Heart shaped rocks and I pick them up for her wherever I go.)

Last but not least, we have our wedding album and our wedding guest book displayed along with a letter R my mom found.  My mom really is the best.  We only received our wedding book last year on our anniversary so it's nice to be able to display it and relive our magical day.  Still can't believe it's been 5 years already though! 
 
We are so happy to finally have that room done with.  Next up... our basement cold storage and maybe painting a room or two.  It's really nice to finally have more time to get all these projects done!

3 comments:

I AM A DREAMER said...

Gorgeous!! Love grey and yellow!

Malerie said...

Wow. This room looks so great! Very complete and pulled together. Love the colors, especially the yellow accents.

hannie bailey said...

oh how it feels soo good to check one off the list... ;) good job!