Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

In the spirit of Mardi Gras... our NOLA trip, FINALLY!

So I have been meaning to write about our great trip down to New Orleans for the Sugarbowl and New Years but I have been a total slacker about going through the pictures. Well, finally I had a chance to go through them, so here they finally are.

We had an amazing time and this was by far our best trip down there yet. We are so blessed to have Chris and Matt as friends and have truly enjoyed discovering New Orleans and making some great friends down there with them. This trip was our longest we have been able to take and so this time we took it really easy and relaxed a lot more than we have on prior trips down there. It was nice to be able to go at a slower pace and really take in the spirit of the city.

Our room was in the slave quarters, which is typically a building behind a large home in which the slaves used to live in. They have restored it and it's beautiful.
The sign Lisa made us upon our arrival.
The view from our roomWhile we took it a little easier we still did a lot of fabulous things. It was so nice outside that after breakfast the first day we decided to go for a long walk and enjoy the beauty of the city. We walked around the ginormous Audubon park that was a lot like Sugarhouse park and happened to see an alligator just lounging out with a bunch of turtles. It was cool to see all the different wildlife the park provided a home to and it was a great way to start the trip.


The Audubon Park
A great placque!Mike, Matt and Chris The ducks were just this side of menacing.
I hope that gator doesn't get hungry!!! New Years down there was so different that Utah and we had a great time. We went to a wonderful dinner at The Court of Two Sisters and were able to watch a proposal, which I LOVED! I thourougly enjoy watching people commit their lives to one another and I was so happy for them. After dinner we headed to Pat O's for some hurricanes and then people watched on Bourbon. If you like to people watch than Bourbon is the place for you. You will see some of the craziest people or sites you have ever seen in your life. Around 11 we headed back to the hotel so we could watch the river fireworks from the best spot in town. Lisa, the manager let us watch the fireworks from the roof of our hotel and it was awesome. They were unlike any fireworks I had ever seen and I couldn't have imagined a better way to bring in the New Year.

Here is Bourbon for you!
Ahh Bourbon Street Matt and Mike enjoying Hurricanes at Pat O's
Mike and I on New Years The day of the game we decided to go to the new insectarium where we ate BUGS; yes BUGS!!! I even ate them, which I never thought I would do! We ate Millworms in Apricot chutney, millworms in Banana's Foster and wax worms that tasted like spicy cheetoes. They were't that bad but I don't know if I will be doing that again soon. The insectarium was really cool and my favorite part was the butterfly room. They had a room that had hundreds of butterflies just flying around. If you ever make it down to NOLA, I suggest either the insectarium or the acquarium because they are both flawlessly done and are so educational yet entertaining at the same time.

The butterflies were gorgeous!

We did so many other great things like go on a swamp tour and see lots of gators, discover some new yummy eateries, explore St. Charles and look at the beautiful homes, go to a jazz mass, eat beneighs, drink lots of hurricanes, see some friends, gorge ourselves on delicious food and just spend time with people we love. It was a great trip with some of our dearest friends and we are so blessed to continue making memories such as these with them. We love you Chris and Matt! Thanks again for including us and showing us your beloved city.
The Cathedral The RiverMike holding a baby gatorMe holding a baby gatorA swamp gator SNAP!!!
A gator smile!Who knew a swamp could be so gorgeous!On the swamp tour!

I am going to post a separate entry about the Sugar Bowl because I think it deserves it's own, it was just that amazing.

No comments: