Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Are you epicurious?!?

My mom introduced me to http://www.epicurious.com/ a while ago but I haven’t had much time or motivation to cook in the past few months. Now that I have a kitchen I enjoy cooking in I think this website is going to be my new best friend. It has a lot of great features such as an online recipe box where you can save recipes and make online notes such as less baking time or more salt so you can remember the next time you make it. It even gives you the option to print out 3x4 or 4x6 recipe cards so you don’t have to get carpal tunnel transferring recipes. I have also found the reviewers tips to be extremely helpful. Since I am far from a great chef or baker, it’s nice to see what modifications others have made in order to improve on the recipes before I even make it.

Hope you all like this site as much as I do and if you know of any other great websites, please share!!!

This one is for you Kristen!


Gourmet Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (16 ounces)

Preparation
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment or wax paper.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl.
Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Lightly beat 1 egg with a fork in a small bowl and add 1 3/4 tablespoons of it plus 2 remaining whole eggs to butter mixture, beating with mixer until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just blended, then stir in chips.
Scoop 1/4 cup batter for each cookie, arranging mounds 3 inches apart, on 2 baking sheets. Flatten mounds into 3-inch rounds using moistened palm of your hand. Form remaining cookies on additional sheets of parchment.
Bake, 1 sheet at a time, until golden, 13 to 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool and continue making cookies in same manner using cooled baking sheets.
I only cook them for 9 minutes since Mike likes them chewy and I use a bit less salt. I hope you like them!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Thanks Lauren!!! I can't wait to bake these. Post some pic's of your decorated house, I love your style.

Kate said...

What an awesome site! I also found a gadget on blogger that allows people to type in whatever ingredient they're craving (or have on hand) for a list of recipies that include that particular food item. Ingenious!

- K