Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Colors of Life!

For the past 10 years, my family and I have been attending The Sharing Place's annual fundraiser, The Colors of Life. As I have gotten older I have participated in various ways from making an art piece which told my family's story and how Sharing Place helped us to putting together a "love basket" in my dad's memory to being on the COL committee. This year with Aubree's wedding being the weekend after COL, I decided I couldn't be on the fundraising committee but I gladly offered up my basement and spent many Saturdays assembling auction baskets. About a month before Colors of Life was to be held I was asked to be the guest speaker at the event, and I was beyond flattered. Even though I am petrified of speaking in public I joyfully accepted. If conquering my fears will raise money for The Sharing Place than I am always in.

The date of the event I was beyond nervous because I didn't know how to convey how much my dad's death has changed my life and how The Sharing Place saved my family and I in just a few short minutes. I was stressing big time but as I was practicing alone in my car something or someone came over me and I broke down in tears, yet still kept talking. At that point I realized I just needed to speak from my heart and the words would come. I went to the event, enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere, yummy food, and bid on a few items but mostly relished in the support I had not only from The Sharing Place staff but from my amazing family and dear friends who were all there for me and this cause that is engrained in my existence. As I got up to the podium and began to bear my heart to a room full of people I hardly knew, I looked at my mom who had tears streaming down her face and I lost it. All I could think as I tried to compose myself is, do this for her, do this for your rock, do this because without her, this program and her love, you would not have survived. I finally composed myself and as I did, that same feeling came over me. I began to speak and while I have no idea what I said, I know I was conveying what I needed to. When I was about to lose it again, I looked over to my other strength, my amazing friend Chris and the family The Sharing Place brought into my life, and his face gave me the courage I needed to finish. When I was done speaking, I looked around the room and saw tears running down cheeks of people who didn't even know me or my story before tonight and as I stepped off the podium, I was greeted by hugs from my friends and family as well as complete strangers. It was truly an amazing experience and taught me so much about myself, as well as my loved ones and the ability for strangers to change your life and it will be an experience I don't soon forget. While it was one of the most terrifying things I have ever done, I am beyond glad I was able to conquer my fear to express what The Sharing Place has given to me and how the help of everyone in the room would allow other grieving children find their way out of the dark into the light again.

Although this evening was full of emotion, Colors of Life is seriously such a good time! This is one event I never miss and each year it just keeps getting bigger and better; not to mention it raises over $80,000 for The Sharing Place and a grief outreach program for children who are unable to attend The Sharing Place. Now THAT is amazing and something I am proud to be a part of! Thanks Mom, Rod, Mike, Cathy, Hannie and Ryan for coming out and enjoying this memorable night with me! Wouldn't have been the same without you. Love you all!

Yummy Food!

Me and my amazing mom.

Me and my incredibly wonderful friend Hannie.

The wall of hearts. The kids make these in group.

Auction time!


Matt and Rod The Sharing Place logo that local artists made and were auctioned off.


Miss Cecilie and John


Stacy did an amazing job with the love baskets this year!


Miss Stephanie and her guest!



I think this picture is breathtaking.

The thingamabobs! Way to add color to everyone!

Mike, his mom and a friend from church.


My parents. DTSB bidding away! Chris and another guest!
The Baileys. Ryan and Han.
The Colors of Life committee always takes funny pictures at the after party. Last year was big lips, this year mustaches!

2 comments:

I AM A DREAMER said...

I wish I could have been there to hear you. This sounds amazing! You are amazing!

hannie bailey said...

You made me cry all over again. Love you Lauren..