Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The voice of my soul....

As you all know, I have been working at The Sharing Place doing client intakes and I absolutely couldn't imagine a more suitable and rewarding opportunity. Since being there I have been taken back to the day my dad died, the week after, the month following and the 9 years that have passed. Although I have been at TSP for almost a decade, being able to face grief head on within weeks of someones loss has been incredibly challanging, yet completely cathartic. I feel with every heartbreaking story I hear, a memory reveals itself, a piece of me heals, a wall is shattered, a tear is shed or I am able to reflect. I feel unbelievably lucky to continue working on my grief so many years later because no matter what I want to believe, this journey is never-ending, a piece of my heart will always be missing and it really is still this hard. While this may sound as though I am giving up, I feel I am embracing and tackling this difficult part of myself and that is something I am extremely proud of. In realizing this, I found writing has been the most constant part of my work and as I read things I have written since my dad's death, I have the honor to go back to that step in my grief and the emotions I was experiencing at the time. While the words I write may be dark, they are in fact enlightening and give me the strength to keep going because it gives me the unique ability to see how far I have come. Thanks to each and every one of you for your continued encouragement in my writing, for not turning away and for being a part of my journey and standing behind me every step of the way. I wouldn't be where I am today without your support, friendship, understanding and love.

"She was no longer wrestling with the grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts"

-George Eliot
(Thanks Annie for sharing one of the most profound quotes I have ever read)

3 comments:

Casey, Annie, Brooklyn, Paige and Casey 5 said...

There is nothing better in the world than working somewhere you love, I am so glad that you have that chance!

Heather and Trevor said...

You really do have this great way of writing your feelings...and I think that it is incredible that you have such strength!

hannie bailey said...

writing is my therapy and my path to healing and understanding... always has been since I was able to turn letters into words... it is true expression.

'to be able to sit down with yourself and your own emotions and have lunch with them... that is acceptance.. that is growth..'

I heard that once and I believe it.

I love you Lauren.