Today is a hard day. The past few months have been hard months; March especially. I have tried desperately not to let my emotions overshadow the good in my life, to let my sadness consume me and to try to find the good in this situation. To be honest though, my heart is broken and I am emotionally drained. Some of you know what I am talking about, others don’t but today I decided to share why I feel this way. I need to say it because I am tired of keeping it inside; I am sick of feeling this way alone, and I can’t pretend this doesn’t hurt anymore.
Mike and I have been trying for over a year to get pregnant with obviously no luck. This has been difficult because all I have wanted since I was 14 was to be a wife and mother, but I waited. I waited until I found my soul mate and we really got to know one another. We waited until Mike and I were both done with school and were able to take the time to enjoy life and each other. We waited until we were financially able to have a baby and could afford to have me not work. We waited until we bought a home we could imagine having a child in and making memories as a family. We waited and when we were finally ready to stop waiting; life threw us an ugly curveball.
Mike and I have been trying for over a year to get pregnant with obviously no luck. This has been difficult because all I have wanted since I was 14 was to be a wife and mother, but I waited. I waited until I found my soul mate and we really got to know one another. We waited until Mike and I were both done with school and were able to take the time to enjoy life and each other. We waited until we were financially able to have a baby and could afford to have me not work. We waited until we bought a home we could imagine having a child in and making memories as a family. We waited and when we were finally ready to stop waiting; life threw us an ugly curveball.
When we first started trying I wasn’t concerned because I figured it would take a while but after 6 months of no news, I began to worry. I started doing at home testing and that was when I realized something was off. Either I wasn’t ovulating or I was ovulating late, but I knew something was wrong. I began doing a ton of research and found out all the necessary steps we needed to take to make sure we were giving us the best possible chances. After those didn’t work, we decided to go to a fertility specialist. There I was tested and we were told I have a 5% rather than a 35-40% chance of getting pregnant because I ovulate almost 10 days late. This news was devastating to me because I felt so out of control, so helpless and worst of all, like a failure. I never thought I would be 25 and dealing with fertility problems. I thought I already endured my hardship life had for me.
The Dr. suggested I try Clomid to regulate my ovulation, but I had vowed not to start Clomid until we had been trying for two years (I believe it's overprescribed). Mike also wasn't on board with Clomid because he had heard it has a high probability of multiple births and hormonal side effects. He and I agreed to forgo treatment for another year but it wasn't until we didn't have options that I realized what a dagger to my heart not doing treatment was. I felt we had an option and we were just passing on it, and it was killing me. Even though I had committed to try for another year, I convinced Mike to come to another Dr. apt with me. When the Dr. explained how Clomid works, the side effects, the statistics of multiples if used correctly (less than 1%) and how without help I had very little chance of conceiving, we decided to begin treatments in July.
While I should be happy that we have a plan, medication is not a guarantee and I have little hope. All my hope has been washed away with the dozens of negative pregnancy tests and monthly heart breaks. This experience has been incredibly emotional and has changed me a lot. Whether that is a good or a bad thing has yet to be seen. I have cried harder than I have since my dad died, I have experienced heart break for the first time in my life and I have felt every emotion possible all at once. It’s harder than almost anything I have ever gone through and just like when I was 15 and lost my dad, people just don’t understand unless they have gone through it themselves. I am hurt, I am angry, I am numb, I have checked out and even worse, I feel guilty for feeling this way. I feel selfish for being so upset and believe my heart aches are unjustified. I wish I could turn off my feelings because I don’t want to hurt this way anymore. Unfortunately I can’t though. I am broken and don’t know how to fix myself. I guess I am not as strong as I pretend to be.
16 comments:
I am SO sorry, Lauren. I don't have much to say other than you have my deepest sympathies and Alex and I love you and your sweet husband. You are both in our thoughts and prayers.
Lauren, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. We will keep you in our prayers.
Oh Lauren, but you are stronger than you think you are! For so openly expressing you are going through is so much more than most people can do. I am so so sorry you are going through this. My sister-in-law went through this for seven years, and I can see how it is so hard on someone. I'm not saying I know how you feel, I am just saying I feel for you and I will keep you in my prayers. If you can, keep updates. If not, just know you are in my thoughts and I know there are children lucky to have you!! Good luck!
Oh, Lauren...I am right there with you. Your heartache is certainly not unjustified, I'm pretty sure there is no greater pain in the world. Thank you for sharing your feelings on here, I know it's really hard to talk about. I have tried to act like nothing is wrong for a long time, but it seems like there comes a point where you just have to put it out there on the table. I admire your strength, and I wish you and Mike the best. If you ever want to talk, let me know.
I am so sorry you guys are having to deal with that. I hope things work out for you soon! You will be a great mom when it happens! If you haven't read the book, Taking Charge of your Fertility I would highly, HIGHLY recommend it! It is a fantastic book and it teaches so many useful things. I learned so much from it! I think you would like it too! Let me know if you need anything.
Lauren I am so sorry you and Mike are going through this. Tyler and I had bad news when we first started trying to get pregnant. It's awful hearing Dr. say you may not be able to get pregnant. Stay strong. I know once you have a child you guys will be GREAT parents. Your such a great person and your in my prayers.
Hey Lauren-I feel like I have some insight to this because the exact same thing happened to me but I want you to know that it's definitely ok to feel the way you do, and to be sad and everything-it's really hard to want something like that so much and not get it. And it's really unfair for someone like you who wants it so badly and deserves it to not get it, when there are other people out there who don't deserve that responsibility and blessing. I felt the same way, because it took so, so long to get pregnant with this baby, so I know what you are going through-it sucks to be so young and to have to worry about fertility issues! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers also!
I can't say that I know what you are going through but I do feel your frustrations. Talk to my sisters-they both had problems getting pregnant but now they have their cute little babies and things have worked out. It will work out with you too-you and Mike will be great parents! And as much as it doesn't help to hear it, things will happen when they are supposed to. If you need a baby fix, come visit me this summer and you can play with my kids :)
good things happen to good people, shitty things happen to good people= a child. ;)
We're in this together. I love you. I mask mine too. I feel it too.
I hear you sweetie...we tried for two years with no success. First month on clomid I got pregnant. Good luck!! Things work out...especially in hind sight. :) Stay strong.
I am so sorry, Lauren. It must be such a hard thing to endure. My cousin and his wife tried for years to have a baby, but they simply couldn't. They decided to adopt and were blessed with the most precious litty baby boy. It was a long, hard road for them, but they are so happy now.
I will keep you in my prayers and I wish only the best for you and your husband! Thank you for sharing this post.
Although it didn't last a year, it did take much longer than expected this time around for us, and it was a very frustrating experience. I didn't realize until med school what a common thing this can be -- 25% of couples take longer than 1 year.
The good thing is that you've got the facts and you've got a plan. You're not broken, although it might feel that way. Hang in there, don't be too hard on yourself, and don't lose hope.
I wont tell you I understand, because I don't. Nor will I tell you that it might just happen unexpectedly, because that might not be your reality. What I will tell you, is that all these emotions you are experiencing are valid and real. They will also be the feelings that will make you such an excellent mother when your time finds you. You are strong.
All the best to you and Mike during this time. Here's a quote that made me think of you both...
"If the future road looks ominous or unpromising, and the roads back uninviting, then we need to gather our resolve and, carrying only the necessary baggage, step off that road into another direction." - Maya Angelou
We've been there, and no matter how long it takes (a month or 4 years) the wait is excruciating. Hang in there. Be patient with the people who make comments. They aren't purposely trying to say hurtful things. You'll get your babies someday. Enjoy Mike and your time together. Keep trying. Don't give up.
It looks like you posted this a while ago but I just saw it today. I think the world of you and Mike and I am so glad you shared this burden. What a load to be carrying for so long. I know we touched on things, but we never went deep and I often didn't want to bring up a difficult subject. I am so sorry that you are going through this. You are NOT broken and there is NOTHING wrong with you. I find myself feeling guilty for thinking certain thoughts at times, but I have learned that all thoughts/feelings help us to process our reality. Don't feel bad for any of them. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. I wish it was easy enough to come right over and give you a big hug. Nothing is ever hopeless and certainly not this. Love you.
Post a Comment