Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Monday, October 5, 2009

Change is a comin whether I like it or not.

"The worst thing that happens to you may be the best thing for you, if you don't let it get the best of you."

The quote above is more of a reminder to myself than anything. It is hard to know how to even begin this blog. Today after 7 years at my same job I was laid off, and it's completely surreal. I found out last Monday this may be a possibility but today it became official. My last day will be next Friday, October 16th and it's so crazy to think about. I started at Allstate when I was 17, so this is all I have known my entire adult life. I feel like my sense of identity is being ripped from within me and I am having to start my life, and myself back over. It's especially difficult because I have poured over 18,000 hours and every ounce of who I am into both Allstate and Wasatch Preferred and to have my career there end under these circumstances is almost unbearable.

Now I know things happen for a reason and in the long run I will be better for it, but as of right now, I just see black. I want to feel like I know it will be ok but I guess it's too soon for me to wrap my head around the fact that after next Friday I will be unemployed. I never realized how much I needed my job to feel whole, to feel like me. In all honesty, I am completely devastated. Who knew a job loss could be this difficult?

So, if anyone who reads this blog knows of any job openings anywhere, please let me know. I guess let the search begin...

Sidenote: I am sorry for the drab post. I promise after a day or two when it all sinks in, I will feel better about the situation and will begin to look forward to a couple weeks of sleeping in and mid-morning Starbucks runs. I just hope it only takes a couple of weeks to find a job since the market is so bad right now.

7 comments:

melis said...

Oh, Lauren. I am so so so sorry. I know how much you loved your job amd how great you are at it. I wish you were here to work for Luke! He needs someone like you!!!

XOXO Good Luck!

Casey, Annie, Brooklyn, Paige and Casey 5 said...

“The key to change... is to let go of fear.”
Rosanne Cash

That totally bites, I am so sorry to hear about your job. You are a fabulous young woman that someone will be lucky enough to employ...very soon, I am sure. The best is yet to come.

Linds Forrest said...

Oh my crap do not apologize, I am glad you did this post. I'm sorry about you being laid off, that is so difficult. Keep your head up.

My brother works at Cambridge Financial and he just said the other week that they are hiring insurance peeps. I don't know if that interests you or not but if you want I can get you my brothers phone number.

I hope something turns up quick for you. Something great will come your way!

hannie bailey said...

Wow! He doesn't mess around, huh?! Not to sound Beaver Cleaver, but maybe this is a good thing. Change=growth

Love you tons. I will keep my ears open and ask around.
Hugs and good thoughts your way.

Jen said...

That is horrible...I will definitely keep my ears open for any job openings. Our thoughts and prayers are with you--heaven knows we all need jobs and money!

Brian said...

Perseverance.

Some of the worst moments of my life lead to the greatest...IMHO it's all a matter of perspective and maintaining one's optimism.

Be happy that you have a great support group, loving husband, and most importantly the health of your friends and family.

You've got talent and that won't go unnoticed. Who else can say they've held the same job for 7 years since they were 17?

Best of luck.
-W

Lori said...

Oh man. I am just barely catching up. I am so sorry to hear about this. You can always come and hang out with me during the day. i don't do much, but here I am. :) Hang in there.