The drive out of Germany and back into Austria was another pretty one. You can’t help but want to look out the window because it seems there is always something new to see. Being married to an engineer always makes me notice and appreciate things I wouldn’t have before. For example, Mike pointed out how many tunnels there were and how in America we tend to drive around things instead of through them. I thought that was pretty interesting and I can always count on him to teach me something new.
As we neared Innsbruck I began asking if we could find a mall so that I could buy a new converter to replace the two I had fried (earlier post). Mike found a shopping center on the trusty GPS system and we headed for it. As we were exiting the freeway they had set up a barricade and motioned for us to stop. Not knowing the language or what was going on, we pulled over. The officer came over to the car and asked where our sticker was. Apparently in order to drive on the autobahn in Austria you have to purchase a toll sticker, which we didn’t realize. Well that lack of knowledge cost my parents a whopping 120 Euro ($200.00), while the sticker is a measly 6 Euros. Welcome to Austria!
Following our encounter with the Austrian police, we headed over to the shopping mall. We looked around for a while trying to find a converter but they are actually pretty difficult to find in Europe. I guess not many Europeans are trying to convert U.S. electronics. Mike finally decided to buy me a flat iron with European plugs since we weren’t having any luck finding a converter. What a great husband huh?!? So, I am now the proud owner of a European flat iron! If any of you plan on traveling to Europe and need one, let me know. It works great and I would be glad to lend it to you! All this mess because I am vain! I also had to buy an American flat iron when I got home since I had fried mine. Good thing Costco started carrying Chis.
After leaving the mall, we headed to Kramsach. Andreas had to work for a few more hours so he gave us some ideas on where to hike. We settled into our hotel, drove to the local market, picked up some picnic food and went on our way. Kramsach is a gorgeous town and not touristy at all. You really feel as though you are in The Sound of Music, and I can understand why Andreas wanted to live there over Logan. If you ever make it to Austria, I really suggest stopping there.
The whole hike was beautiful and made me appreciate the outdoors and how stunning Austria is. I think Kramsach was my favorite place we went on our trip because it was truly breathtaking. Their way of life is so different and it made me wish that Americans took time to enjoy life and Mother Nature more.




By the time we were done with our hike, Andreas was off work, so he came and met us. He showed us around the city and then joined us for dinner. It was really fun to sit down and chat with him, and I feel really blessed that we had the opportunity to see where he is from. I always get a kick out of listening to stories of Mike and his days up at the Sigma Chi house, and that night was no exception.
Following dinner Andreas had to pick his girlfriend Christina up at the train station so Mike and I tagged along. After picking her up, we went and had drinks at the Tennis Club. I had a beer mixed with sprite, which I know sounds weird but it was really refreshing. If you drink, you should try it on a warm summer day, it’s pretty good.
Andreas and Christina are both really good kind-hearted people and we are excited to see them again in August when they come here to vacation. Thanks Andreas for showing us your beautiful hometown!
1 comment:
It sounds like you guys had a great trip! I am way jealous!
I am excited for you guys to have football tickets this year, too! It should be fun! And thanks for throwing me and Ed a going away party with Annie. You guys are too nice.
Post a Comment