Today started as a normal day at work. I was keeping busy and getting lunch prepared for my team. At 11:30, right after I had grabbed my enchilada we had gotten from Red Iguana, I started hearing various conversations about a tragic car accident that occurred this morning. Now KSL.com is one of my "go-to" morning websites so I had already read about the devastating accident in which a woman getting on the I-215 on-ramp from 3900 South had been merging with traffic and suddenly swerved, which caused her to go up on the guardrail and ultimately flip off and land onto 3900 South below, killing her instantly.
This unfortunately was not what caught my attention. What did was her name, Diane Berg. The same name as one of our teammates, the same name as the sweet, quiet, incredibly nice mother of 3 who sat two desks away from me, the same name as the woman who I always complimented her on her damask cardigan and who always had a smile on her face. In hearing her name we all began to panic and question if this could be her. We hadn't heard from her all day and she was supposed to be in at eight, but had yet to show up. We tried to keep hope because the spelling of her last name on KSL.com was Berge but as we began to find out more details, we slowly began to piece together that there was more of a chance it was her than not. I finally pulled out her contact info and had Mark, the VP I report to and the head of our team, make the devastating call to her husband. When he called, her 7 year old son answered the phone and at that time, Mark knew. Mark talked to her husband Darrin who was in complete shock that his wife, the mother of his three young children, was killed in a horrible car accident on her way to work this morning.
Following this tragic phone call, we immediately began pulling reps off the phone so we could share the unthinkable news that one of our teammates, one member of our small Fidelity family, was no longer here. Every single member of our team was effected and the loss of her was immediately felt. Mark was great and allowed everyone the time they needed to collect their thoughts before they returned to the phones, or leave if they didn't feel they could continue on with their day. A few people left but most were able to put their emotions on the backburner and continue what felt like an endless day, in order to be there for our customers who had no context of what had just happened. It was at this moment that I realized how privileged I am to work with the team at Fidelity that I do. I was humbled by their love for Diane and how much we as a team care about the people we work with. I was also incredibly impressed with the management and Fidelity as a company. Too many times companies don't take circumstances into consideration and don't show compassion. Fidelity is different, Fidelity is a family, and they immediately jumped into action making sure her husband and family were taken care of, as well as our team.
This news has stayed with me all day and my heart just aches for her husband and her children. She adored her family and it makes me sick that her children ages 11, 7 and 3, will now have to grow up without a mother. No child should have to endure that and the more I think about it the more awful I feel. I truly hope that after they have a little time to cope they come to The Sharing Place. It's days such as these that remind me why I work 60 hours a week and hear some of the most difficult stories I could ever imagine. I may not be able to change what brought them to The Sharing Place but I can be the one to start them on their path to healing and it's the most rewarding work I could imagine.
Today has definitely put life into perspective and reminded me that life can change in a heartbeat. So, squeeze your loved ones a bit tighter tonight, remember that the little things don't matter and that every day could be your last.
Diane, your Fidelity family will miss you immensely and it was a honor to know you.
This unfortunately was not what caught my attention. What did was her name, Diane Berg. The same name as one of our teammates, the same name as the sweet, quiet, incredibly nice mother of 3 who sat two desks away from me, the same name as the woman who I always complimented her on her damask cardigan and who always had a smile on her face. In hearing her name we all began to panic and question if this could be her. We hadn't heard from her all day and she was supposed to be in at eight, but had yet to show up. We tried to keep hope because the spelling of her last name on KSL.com was Berge but as we began to find out more details, we slowly began to piece together that there was more of a chance it was her than not. I finally pulled out her contact info and had Mark, the VP I report to and the head of our team, make the devastating call to her husband. When he called, her 7 year old son answered the phone and at that time, Mark knew. Mark talked to her husband Darrin who was in complete shock that his wife, the mother of his three young children, was killed in a horrible car accident on her way to work this morning.
Following this tragic phone call, we immediately began pulling reps off the phone so we could share the unthinkable news that one of our teammates, one member of our small Fidelity family, was no longer here. Every single member of our team was effected and the loss of her was immediately felt. Mark was great and allowed everyone the time they needed to collect their thoughts before they returned to the phones, or leave if they didn't feel they could continue on with their day. A few people left but most were able to put their emotions on the backburner and continue what felt like an endless day, in order to be there for our customers who had no context of what had just happened. It was at this moment that I realized how privileged I am to work with the team at Fidelity that I do. I was humbled by their love for Diane and how much we as a team care about the people we work with. I was also incredibly impressed with the management and Fidelity as a company. Too many times companies don't take circumstances into consideration and don't show compassion. Fidelity is different, Fidelity is a family, and they immediately jumped into action making sure her husband and family were taken care of, as well as our team.
This news has stayed with me all day and my heart just aches for her husband and her children. She adored her family and it makes me sick that her children ages 11, 7 and 3, will now have to grow up without a mother. No child should have to endure that and the more I think about it the more awful I feel. I truly hope that after they have a little time to cope they come to The Sharing Place. It's days such as these that remind me why I work 60 hours a week and hear some of the most difficult stories I could ever imagine. I may not be able to change what brought them to The Sharing Place but I can be the one to start them on their path to healing and it's the most rewarding work I could imagine.
Today has definitely put life into perspective and reminded me that life can change in a heartbeat. So, squeeze your loved ones a bit tighter tonight, remember that the little things don't matter and that every day could be your last.
Diane, your Fidelity family will miss you immensely and it was a honor to know you.

Click here for the news story if you are interested. The pictures are difficult to look at though.
5 comments:
So sad. Matt shared the news with me today. I didn't know her very well but she did help throw my bridal shower when we got married. Matt's family knew her. We're praying for her family and hugging each other a little tighter tonight.
I'm so glad that you knew Diane. This is Matt Weed's Mom. Diane was very dear to me, and we worked together closely for three years in a church capacity. One of things I loved about Diane was that although she was multi-talented, she was unassuming and quiet, and went about using her talents for others without making a big deal about herself. She had a gift for making things beautiful, and the teenage girls we worked with benefitted from this ability many times. In particular, I remember the 35 beautiful pink journals she created for them. Diane was so sensitive and spiritual. For three years she taught Sunday lessons to these young women, and I never wanted to leave the room when she had finished, because she had created such a beautiful, meaningful atmosphere. I learned so much from Diane.
Awe that is such a shame! I'm sorry for everyone's loss. I will keep her family and all of you in my prayers.
No way! My friends live right above where this happened, and were telling us about it that evening. I cannot believe this. She is beautiful and the family is adoreable. Tragic...
I love what you wrote "I can be the one to start them on their path to healing." Truly remarkable work that you do Lauren and very inspirational.
Post a Comment