Blogstalking and Comments Welcome! In fact, we love them!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Current Obsessions...

Lately I have been loving so many new things so here are my current obsessions...

iPhone for Verizon... This news was some of the best news I have heard in a while. I have been a loyal Verizon customer since Mike and I met 6 years ago. I love their coverage but have never been very impressed with their phone selection and have contemplated switching companies multiple times but haven't been able to justify the increased cost for worse coverage. When I was recovering from food poisoning, I got a text from Mike that the iPhone was FINALLY officially coming to Verizon 02.10.11. Luckily my birthday is in February so I immediately jumped online and was added to their waitlist and am now anxiously waiting for my new toy. Goodbye flip phone without a battery cover and hello 21st century!

Free Pottery Barn Design Classes... The last two Sundays Mike and I have been attending hour long free Pottery Barn classes. Last week we went to one on Designing your Dream Bedroom and today's was about setting up your new home. We have found them beneficial because they have made us think about decorating in a different way and have helped us decide the direction we want to go. Some of our favorite tips include...

-Covering your boxspring with a fitted sheet

-If you have a duvet, safety pin the corners into your cover so it the duvet doesn't end up at the bottom of the bed or on one person.

-Your bedroom is a space not many people visit so you can decorate it as personally as you would like.

-White is a great starting point and color can be added from there.

-White sheets are extremely classy and can be mixed in with fun prints and pillows to add personality.

-Pottery Barn trick of the trade, their bed displays always have two duvets in the duvet cover to make them extra fluffy.

- Black dishes can become more romantic and soft by bringing in light blues and warming colors.

-Putting your duvet in the dryer with a tennis ball or tennis shoes will help break down the fibers and "fluff" it back up.

-Presentation is everything!

Not only have they taught us a lot of good tips, they have been a fun thing to do together. Plus, they give you a 10% off entire purchase coupon just for coming. You can't beat that!

Lens Cap Leash... I found this in my stocking this Christmas and have really loved it. I have almost lost our lens cap multiple times so this is an easy cheap way to keep track of it. You can get it at any camera store like Inkleys or Nicols.

Valentine's Decor... I have been excitedly decorating for V-day this year and I absolutely LOVE this wreath for our front door. I found it at Rod Works last February and it really brings the Valentine's Spirit.I also love these hanging hearts. I like to hang holiday items from my chandelier because it's an easy and cheap way to decorate for that season. I bought these and the ribbon at Tai Pan and am really proud how they turned out because it is one of the few decorations I did without my mom's help. Mike and I had a hilarious time hanging them since I cut the existing strings on the tops of the hearts too short. We ended up tying the new ribbon on with two sets up tweezers and a lot of laughs. We came to the conclusion that being a surgeon would be really really hard and we both have an even bigger appreciation for Matt's talent. :)


Donna Downey... A few months ago I came home to this surprise from my fabulous mom.

My mom knows how much I love stars, that Wish is one of my favorite words and I love to decorate with blues. It has been my favorite piece of art and I have been following Donna Downey's work ever since. I love her use of words, colors as well as her use of wire and that it is 3 dimensional.

Recently I ran across this word art from her. I loved the colors, the heart and knew it would go perfect in our house.

Even though I love the piece, I love the quote on it even more. "She had wanted to be a mother to share a love divine". It captured my emotions so well and I know it's something I will cherish forever and remind me of this difficult but rewarding journey.

Hotwire.com's Hot Deals... As I mentioned a few days ago, Mike and I are heading to Mexico in March. I booked the airfare but had yet to book the resort. I have been a little spoiled on a last few vacations thanks to being able to find great deals and going during the off season, but wasn't having very much luck this time. Mike and I finally decided to do something very out of character and book using Hotwire.com Hot Deals. For those of you who don't know, the Hot Deals are basically a grab bag for hotels and you don't know where you will be staying until you book. Normally I research a ton before booking a hotel but since I couldn't find anywhere I wanted to stay for a decent price, we took a chance and are glad we did! We will be going back to Secrets Silversands where we stayed in 2008, and ended up saving $1.000.00! We were hoping we may get to try somewhere new but are extremely happy to be going somewhere we know we will love! Yeah for good deals, spontaneity and Hotwire.com.

Michaelangelo's Ristorante... This is my new favorite dining spot. I learned of it when I had a lunch meeting at TSP and have been obsessed ever since. They have delicious caprese salads, amazing bread, the best balsamic vinegar and a ton of great entrees. We took Mike's parents there this weekend and Mike got the Chicken Piccata and it was incredible. I also tried the amaretto gelato, which was also great. It's definitely worth a try and it's not too pricey. They are located at 3005 Highland Drive and I recommend reservations on a Friday or Saturday night.

Emerald Green and this Victoria's Secret Swimming Suit...


Lately I have been loving emerald green and have been trying to find clothes in this color. I also have a small (ok a large) obsession with swimming suits and every time we go on a tropical vacation I have to buy a new bathing suit, even though I already have about 15. Mike thinks I am crazy but when we go I spend almost the entire time in one and want to be able to have variety. So after booking our trip, I decided to combine my two obsessions and voila! Love!

Mike's addition to this list is the Windows 7 Cloud. He downloaded it a few weeks ago and has been raving about it ever since. It syncs all of our files between our desktop and laptop so we don't have to download everything twice and we can access anything we need from either computer.

Finally, Miss Jilly and Miss Annie. Now I know they are both not "things" but these girls enhance my life so much, so I needed to add them. Jilly keeps me laughing, helps me a ton, is a great listener, gives great advice, is an incredible mom, makes the work day a blast and I love having her in my life. She also has the most adorable family and I love all the stories I get to hear about Tys, Bay and Crew.


Miss Annie is one amazing friend and I love our LARA time whether it be at Bunco, spontaneous lunches, football games or dinners. She gives me confidence, is incredibly supportive, is hilarious, is gorgeous, is a wonderful listener, intelligent, giving, a wonderful mom and wife and is a complete blessing in my life She also has the two cutest boys I know and generously lets me treat them like the nephews/kids I don't have. Oh and her hubby is pretty great too.

These two girls make my life more enjoyable and I feel so lucky to call them both friends.

What are your current obsessions?!? I am alwys looking for new stuff!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Totally agree with the Pottery Barn bedroom tip of starting with white and adding in color. I also LOVE the one about safety pinning the comforter to the cover...in fact, I'm going to go right now and do that to ours! ;)

I AM A DREAMER said...

I love your lists. I swear I never have time to shop so it is nice to get ideas for things from you. Keep them coming!

Annie Van Komen Albrecht said...

Thank you for your sweet post. I love our LARA dates. Next time I am having an awful day I can re-read yur post for a pick-me-up.

Alex, Chelsea, and Tessa said...

Oh my gosh-we are kinda the same! I have been OBSESSED with green lately too-like seriously you should see my house. EVERY room has some kind of green in it. I don't know what it is, I love it.
AND good tip on the safety pinning the duvet. My daughter has one and it always ends up at the bottom of the cover because she's a weirdy, and I just pinned it, so now it's in place. You seriously made my day with that!

Longest comment ever.